News

Muckamore death ‘a tragic accident’

Thursday, 2 November 2017

Muckamore death ‘a tragic accident’ thumbnail

A FORMER nurse at Muckamore Abbey Hospital has passed his condolences to staff and the family of a man who passed away in a tragic accident after he swallowed a teaspoon.
Ulster Unionist Councillor Drew Ritchie started his career at the facility just before the admission of Martin Lagan (52), who died at the hospital in 2015.
An inquest in Belfast last week heard how Mr Lagan was diagnosed with severe learning disabilities in 1967 and had been an inpatient at the facility ever since and was recorded as having an IQ of 25 in 1983.
Coroner Suzanne Anderson ruled that the cause of death was acute peritonitis, as a result of perforation of the small intestine, due to a swallowed teaspoon.
The Coroner said that it had not been possible to ascertain where Martin had accessed the teaspoon, nor how and when he ingested it.
She said that the case had been 'shocking and distressing' for everyone involved, particularly the Lagan family.
* Read the full disturbing story in this week's Antrim Guardian.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete