News

Killer cocktail

Thursday, 16 November 2017

Killer cocktail thumbnail

AN Antrim man who has been told that he may only have months to live has warned local people that they may be playing 'Russian roulette' by mixing booze and prescription medicine.
Mark Smyth has suffered from depression and anxiety stemming from a traumatic experience in his youth and has been taking hardcore medication ever since.
Unbeknownst to him, one of the tablets was dubbed 'the liver eater' - a name it earned when mixed with alcohol.
And Mark liked to drink, regularly putting aware 15 cans in a session.
The 42-year-old had no idea of the terrible toll that tablets and drink were silently wreaking. There were no warnings.
Indeed, the father of four thought he was in excellent health before his world came crashing down last Christmas.
His mother Shirley admits that she began mentally planning her boy's funeral when he was rushed into theatre after he began vomiting pints of blood 'some of it red, some of it black'.
Doctors pulled him back from the brink, but life could never be the same again. Mark requires a liver transplant or he will die.
*Read the full, harrowing story in this week's Antrim Guardian

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete