Bus strike suspended

Translink set to reduce services in response to Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Staff reporter

Reporter:

Staff reporter

The Translink bus strike, due to start tomorrow (Tuesday, May 17) has been suspended after last ditch talks.

Drivers, cleaners and shunters across Northern Ireland had been due to walk out for seven days in mass strike that would 'bring Northern Ireland to a standstill'.

But bosses today (May 16) made a revised pay deal – as a result industrial action has been suspended while GMB and Unite members vote on the offer.

They will now prepare a ballot of their members.

Peter Macklin, GMB Regional Organiser, said: “After last ditch talks, Translink workers now have a revised pay offer.

“As a gesture of goodwill, industrial action has been suspended until workers have voted on the new offer.

“If they accept it, the strikes would be cancelled completely.

"But if they turn it down, GMB will meet with members immediately to discuss new strike dates.”

A Translink spokesperson said: “Following a meeting with the Union officials today, we have structured a revised offer that acknowledges their concerns over increasing inflation and the cost of living while also supporting wider business needs. 

“We welcome this constructive engagement with our unions. 

“Preventing this industrial action has been of the utmost priority for the company. We are pleased to have found a way forward that will enable us to build back public transport for a more sustainable and better future for all." 

All Translink bus services including school buses will operate as normal from Tuesday, May 17 and for the rest of the week.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Alpha Newspaper Group

Characters left: 1500

BREAKING