Friday 20 February 2026 14:09
AN Antrim mother says she feels that her daughter was ‘failed’ after a rape case was dropped twice after months of delays.
Siobhan Robb’s daughter Caitlin alleged she was raped in 2023 and made statements to the PSNI.
After enquires made by the Antrim Guardian, the Public Prosecution Service said that it received an investigation file from police 14 months later, regarding the alleged sexual offence in Antrim.
A spokesperson said: “A Senior Public Prosecutor considered the available evidence and information reported on the investigation file. It was concluded that the Test for Prosecution was not met in respect of any offence on evidential grounds.”
The decision not to prosecute was issued just a few months later, in late 2024.
The statement continued: “Following a request (from Caitlin’s mother Siobhan Robb) to review the decision, all the available evidence was considered and the Test for Prosecution applied afresh.”
Following this process, a decision to prosecute was taken in early 2025 and the suspect’s legal representative was informed. Further evidence including forensic evidence was sought at the point of the decision to prosecute - but nine months later, the alleged suspect passed away.
The news comes at a time when multiple court cases are not able to proceed because of the current impasse within the criminal justice system.
Barristers in Northern Ireland are protesting over the level of legal aid fees they receive for assisting defendants in criminal trials.
They recently complained that the fees had not risen in 20 years, having been set in 2005. They claimed that a crisis had developed in the justice system due to the low rates of pay, with younger barristers refusing to take on legal aid cases. The strike was called by the Criminal Bar Association which said the move was a ‘last resort’ in its dispute with Stormont’s DOJ.
Mrs Robb said: “My daughter often told me that she felt failed, and now I know what failure feels like.
“I am really not surprised when I hear that victims do not come forward. It took more than a year for a file to be sent to the PPS and then nine months after a second decision to prosecute, the suspect passed away before the case was able to reach the Crown Court.”
Mrs Robb met with the PPS last week and expressed her frustration with the delays in the system.
“I am deeply upset, I feel devastated for my child and for myself.
“As a mother, I even had to supply a lot of the evidence myself. The system needs to change, if not for ourselves, then for other people. The whole process has been so disheartening.” she said.
A spokesperson for the Katie Trust charity, which has been supporting the family said: “This case raises broader concerns about delays within the criminal justice system and the impact those delays can have on victims and families.
“Where a case has been under active consideration for a prolonged period, it is understandable that families will question whether earlier resolution may have led to a different outcome.
“Even where there is no suggestion of individual fault, systemic delay can have very real human consequences.
“It is vital that victims who come forward to report serious offences have confidence that their cases will be progressed in a timely and transparent manner. Prolonged uncertainty can compound trauma and discourage others from seeking justice.
“We would encourage continued review of how complex cases are prioritised during periods of disruption, to ensure that victims are not left in limbo.”
(See more on Page 4)